Thursday, March 28, 2013

Free Desk Project






Life after graduation… That is a scary thought for most of us. Applying to jobs, going to interviews, and waiting to get a call back. This can be a very stressful and anxious time in our lives but I read about an idea that could be implemented in the United States to help struggling graduates.

The “Free Desk Project,” created by the London-based Open Studio Club, was founded on the idea of helping creative professionals by providing them with free workspace. The idea behind this project is that professionals would work on their own projects but use the agency’s desks. “The goal is to give up-and-coming talent the facilities, tools and camaraderie to create professional-caliber work,” wrote David Griner for Adweek.com.  




Agencies who participate in this project are not allowed to charge a fee or assign projects to those using the space; they can also choose to end the agreement at any time. Professionals are allowed to use WiFi and facilities for free during the agency’s hours of operation. To participate in this project, guests have to be actively working on a project and attend the agency daily.

I believe this is good requirement because there is always someone who could be using the space. They would much rather have someone working on a project 5 days a week instead than 2 days. It’s a better use of their space for someone that really needs it!

As one of those professionals who is approaching their graduation day, I would like to be able to participate and be a guest in an agency. Rather than staying home and trying to distract myself, I think this project would encourage and motivate me to work on something while I find a job. I could work on editing and fixing my portfolio or building my website. I could work as a freelancer and actually have office space to do my work.

I honestly believe this project is a GREAT idea. Especially now, when it’s hard to get a job right away, I think many people would benefit from the Free Desk Project.  Would you like to see something like this? Do you think this could be implemented in The United States?


1 comment:

  1. I agree with you 100% about this being a great project. Giving graduates a chance to carry the skills they've learned right into the workplace is fantastic. Instead of finding a part-time job not in their field, the Free Desk Project is giving graduates the opportunity to apply the skills they'll need for a future in their selected profession. I hope to see the US adopt a similar project.

    ReplyDelete