Tuesday, March 26, 2013

"Bright Young Things"

I love hating on Victoria's Secret (as you may have noticed in a previous blog post), but it is just because I'm  jealous I don't look like their models in PINK clothing, This time, however, Victoria's Secret was on the bad end of a marketing miscommunication regarding their "Bright Young Things" campaign. Below is the clip of their ad, showing girls (who look younger than college age) enjoying Spring Break in teeny bikinis.


This letter from a father of a 3-year old girl went viral this week, criticizing "Bright Young Things" as sending a bad message and that the campaign is aimed towards middle school girls. Further criticisms stemmed from specific clothing items in the collection, such as "lace black cheeksters with the word “Wild” emblazoned on them, green and white polka-dot hipsters screen printed with “Feeling Lucky?” and a lace trim thong with the words, “Call me” on the front.” Such things in a middle schooler's wardrobe would be wildly inappropriate and confusing to the young girl's sense of self and feministic integrity (my words).

Reading this on facebook, I too was appalled, and got my flaming fingers ready to write up a nasty blog on the subject. However, like any responsible journalist, I did my research and found that the controversy was merely a misunderstanding and that Victoria's Secret has no intentions of creating a line for such a young audience. 
The misunderstanding stemmed from a quote from Victoria Secret's Chief Financial Advisor who claimed during a press conference the "magic of PINK" is to let high school girls feel "cool" and "older", like college girls. 


Who knew a pair of overpriced sweatpants could be so empowering?


2 comments:

  1. I also read about this letter on Facebook. It's amazing how something like this can be shared with so many people in just a couple of hours! That story got so many comments and criticism in a matter of hours. I was so surprised!

    Regarding the letter, i thought the father was very reasonable in claiming that he doesn't want his daughter to be influenced by these advertisements. Although the ad and campaign may have not been directly targeting high school girls, I think VS should be more careful about the models they pick. If they choose models that look like high school girls, then people will believe that their target audience is a younger crowd even though that might not be the intention. We were all those high school girls at one point and if I had seen a girl that looked my age modeling VS underwear, I would have also believed that ad was directed to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with both of you but at what point to parents become responsible for what their children are consuming and purchasing. Yes the commercial was a little racy but shouldn't concern parents what what their children are doing more closely. If people are really against their high school daughters wear such clothing then they shouldn't let them wear it. I know I know, teenage girls will find ways to buy and wear what they want but parents should just take more responsibility on what their kids are watching, buying, etc.

    ReplyDelete