Monday, February 2, 2015

Everything I Need to Know About Promoting I learned From...The Kardashians?

I do not keep up with the Kardashians. Their television series has never been one that I have been able to find interest in, and I do not follow any of them on social media. One of my favorite blogs, however, is the NPR Social Media Desk, Social Sandbox. As I was scrolling through the other day, I noticed a post titled, "What We Can Learn From the Kardashians." I stopped scrolling immediately and clicked on the link. What could a credible news source like NPR possibly learn from the Kardashians, a family that I still do not quite understand why they are even famous, but that is beside the point.

http://socialmediadesk.tumblr.com/post/103132787406/what-we-can-learn-from-the-kardashians

As I read the post, I realized it was less about the Kardashians themselves and more about the ins and outs of promotions, the career path that I am interested in taking. Melody Kramer, the author of the blog analyzed the Kardashians' actions and social media efforts and showed how their success and popularity correlate. She mentioned things in her blog that we use in our everyday life, that could be tweaked and turned into promotion tools. The one that stuck out most to me was Throwback Thursdays on Instagram. By using their archives, the Kardashians are reminding their followers that their family is their brand, but other social media users can use archives as a tool to remind followers of past success.

This article did not change my view of the Kardashians, but it did allow me to look at social media and promotions in a new light. Social media and promotions are such a small tool that can be used in such a big way. The thing that I love about blogs such as the Social Sandbox is that the promotion tools they offer are social media tips, and social media is free. Developing a strong presence in the social media world is the key to being successful in marketing, promotions and advertising.

1 comment:

  1. I don't particularly like the Kardashians either, and I find their show somewhat painfully annoying at times. I do believe, however, that when it comes to business, the Kardashians know exactly what they're doing... Especially Kris. She's the momager to end all momagers. Kris can promote and sell her family and their products in such a way that she could rival even the best at Edelman.

    ReplyDelete