Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Is Farmers Insurance Invalidating Their Argument?

Upon first viewing Farmers Insurance's ad listed below, entitled 'Proposarg' (not the best name I might add), I chuckled to myself, laughing at its absurd humor and admiring the agency that created it. However, it took a second viewing of the commercial for me to realize that humor was just that, absurd! It depicts a pirate stealing an engagement ring at the moment of proposal. While one may just simply regard this as a funny exaggeration, I ask you to take another look.


The plot of this advertisement illustrates what could happen to a ring if it was lost or stolen, and therefore shows a need for buying insurance on the item. That is all well and good. However, the problem arises with its main character- the pirate. I'm sure that the target audience is aware that it is highly unlikely that they will ever encounter a pirate, let alone have their possessions stolen by one. While the scenario for 'Proposargh' successfully achieves a funny and lighthearted tone which is unique to its market, I believe that it almost invalidates its argument as to why you should buy insurance.  I am aware that viewers know that pirates are not a reason to get insurance and that they have the capacity to think of circumstances beyond that. Although with that said, I think that this commercial is belittling the possibilities that could constitute the need for insurance on valuables. 

In the end, this ad seems to be directed toward young couples who may not know that you should insure an engagement ring. While it draws audiences in with its quirky storyline to ultimately be informative,  I don't think it is very convincing. In the end, I would propose a quick moment that links back to reality just before the logo and tagline appear in order to make the ad more authentic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment