Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Never Too Late To #BeLikeMike

In the age of digital media acting almost as an overbearing presence of information in our lives, the media platforms that we live with can be over-cluttered and cause downright annoyance. Especially when it comes to advertising.  We have television, we have social media, we have mobile apps, we have games, and we have email/ direct marketing.  We also still have the traditional print and radio platforms to accompany it as well.  Companies and agencies are constantly looking for innovative and exciting ways to create new images and messages for their brands.  Unfortunately, the search for the "next big idea" sometimes leaves consumers scratching their heads and thinking to themselves, "What in the world did I just see?"  

When this happens, I often think to myself about how these companies and agencies approached their advertising in the past.  I think about those simple, unforgettable jingles and catchphrases that surpassed the test of time.  What if companies like Coca-Cola and Nike would just rerun their classic campaigns from decades ago?  Would it land?  Would it confuse people?

Well, one iconic brand did exactly that recently.  Gatorade recently aired a television spot that was popular over twenty years ago.  Gatorade reran the "Be Like Mike" campaign that became one of the most iconic sports commercials of the 20th century.  The remastered version of the popular spot came in light of Gatorade's 50th anniversary and the NBA All Star Weekend.  According to an article by Ad Week, Gatorade will accompany this campaign by launching their legendary Citrus Cooler drink with a retro logo on it at the end of March.



To me, this is the perfect thing for an established brand (like Gatorade) to do in this era of digital media.  A simple, subtle, and strategically placed reminder of the brand's past can really tickle the audience's nostalgic fancy.  It could also really grab their attention.  I'm sure for many people, this Gatorade spot brought back precious memories of their childhood and playing outside in their neighborhood trying to be "Like Mike."  I know it did for me.  Even though I am a little young to remember Michael Jordan playing basketball, I do remember growing up watching him in the movie Space Jam.  Hearing the jingle and seeing the old images of the 90s is a nice little trip down memory lane.  I get this little boost of happiness when I see the ad, and it just makes me want to go outside and do something fun. (and, ahem, drink Gatorade)

Gatorade hit a home run with this.  To top it all off, they incorporated the timeless phrase "Be Like Mike" into a hashtag at the end of the ad.  It ties the iconic marketing of the past, with the social media trends of today.  This builds a bridge between generations of kids who grew up with Michael Jordan, and those who grew up with social media.  A clever and refreshing piece of marketing that I am sure many enjoyed.  Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing more of this.    












1 comment:

  1. I agree that Gatorade hit a home run, and possibly even a grand slam with re-airing this commercial. It encompasses an element of advertising that is very special, and that is creating a positive nostalgic feeling for consumers. By viewing this commercial, people remember memories of their past, and can reminisce on the time period that this commercial was originally aired, and events that have happened since. I also like the way that you mentioned the integration of social media through the hashtag. I agree that this incorporates our generation into a successful advertisement from the past. This is definitely one of my favorite uses of advertising and definitely a very creative idea by Gatorade.

    ReplyDelete