Thursday, March 12, 2015

Size and Package Matter- Product Packaging Plays an Important Role in Marketing


Image result for packaging is important
Throughout my college years, I began to notice my personal style changed drastically. Gone were the days of spending hours at the mall, hopping from store to store. Somewhere in between junior year and senior year my weekends seemed to shrink, size changed and my taste in clothing did as well. I traded my weekends at the mall for Saturdays at the library, and with that I stumbled upon my new “mall,” the vast world of online shopping.

I fell in love.

I could virtually hop from store to store and explore new trends and old favorites. However; as I aged I began to notice that there are many subtleties to the presentation that creates the “wow” factor with customers. One such area that not many business owners take into account is the packaging. In this case, I am talking about the packaging for shipping and fulfillment.

Many business owners may see it as a just a box, but to customers, like myself it’s so much more; subconsciously, it’s part of the experience. Likewise, the business can benefit from taking the additional effort into their shipping and packaging to keep costs low, create less strain on employees, and do considerable good for the environment.

When I order expensive or even inexpensive items online I expect for companies to treat my items how I would. I recently purchased a few work items from an expensive women’s retailor, a splurge to say the least. I was surprise to find that the company did not package the items in any fancy tissue or packaging; however I did appreciate the simple quality of the package. The day the shipment was delivered it was pouring raining I of course do not arrive home until late in the evening. I was devastated to think my expensive clothes would be ruin by the rain, but to my surprise the clothes were so carefully placed in two boxes an outer and smaller inner box completed with plastic lining to protect the clothes I was pleased. I removed my clothes from the package and they were dry as a bone.

A major benefit of packaging is the design. The design creates a subconscious bond to the brand which improves the visibility. Not only do individuals take notice on the outside but by customizing the box you actually create an experience upon its own, which has become the “thing” now called unboxing. A great feeling of unboxing can continue to drive up the emotion of the consumer, upon receiving their package, which carries over to the enjoyment with the product. By creating this complete experience a business can improve the chances of a customer returning and sharing those experiences with friends, family, and on social media (further improving buzz).
Unfortunately UNBOXING is not as rewarding for everyone. Check out this UNBOXING fail!

4 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with a lot of points that you made in your post. I too have found that I lean more towards buying online rather than in-store because I do not have time to go shopping in stores. I greatly appreciate it when companies put time into the packaging of the items especially if the items were not cheap. Some companies like ModCloth send purchases in chic boxes, which as you say only adds to the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make some great points in your post. I especially like how you mention that consumers pay special attention to the way that products are packaged. I think that sometimes in terms of online shopping packaging is sometimes overlooked, but personally for me it can make the difference if I order from a site again. Packaging is a chance for a brand to express creativity and uniqueness while also promoting their brand image.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with packaging being part of the "online shopping experience." It's so important to provide a consistent brand image to the customer throughout the entire purchase path, from order to receipt of the product. For example, when you make a purchase from Burberry whether it's online or in store, not only do you receive your package wrapped perfectly and tied with a bow, but you receive a personally addressed and hand-written thank-you note. Talk about an experience!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm happy to know that I am not the only one who appreciates quality. I know personally when I ship out my resume to the few companies that still except them via snail mail I send it with care. I use quality paper, a hand written signature, wrapped in light tissue paper placed in a box and finally I wrap in plastic just in care it rains.

    ReplyDelete