Wednesday, February 20, 2013

True Beauty

Unlike any other species on the planet, us humans are blessed with the ability to appreciate aesthetic beauty. As well, throughout history, what is considered "beautiful" has been constantly evolving. Regardless of what is considered the epitome of female perfection, there is always something left out: everyone else. And in a society that values beauty so deeply, shouldn't every woman have the privilege to believe she is beautiful? I apologize for getting on my soap box, but here I am going to look at an ad campaign created by Victoria's Secret.

 

Pretty, huh? Victoria's Secret "I Love My Body" campaign, not to be confused with an encouragement for young women to feel good about themselves, but about how you should pamper your body by purchasing bras that will raise you an extra cup size or two.



I can't help but notice that all of these young women look unhealthy, and not particularly sexy. Victoria's Secret would beg to differ, I suppose, and seem to enjoy perpetuating the image of toothpick legs and boobs  lifted up to one's chin.

I will admit that I am pretty biased. Last time I went to Victoria's Secret, I found a bra that increases you two cup sizes. I tried it on and as I looked at myself in the mirror with this perverse stuffed animal strapped to my chest I could only sarcastically think to myself, "Ah, now I am perfection." I suppose I just don't "get" Victoria's Secret. Perhaps it is the feminist in me, but I just don't understand why I need to be skinny to be beautiful or have large breasts (or create the illusion of) to be considered sexy. I take personal offense!

Just to leave on a note of positive belief in humanity, here is an image from Dove's Real Beauty campaign, where it is believed that beauty exists in everyone.



1 comment:

  1. Another caqmpaign that is very similar to the Dove campaign is the Playtex "gravety is no longer my enemy" campaign. This particular campaign also shows real women who are healthy looking and not stick thin. Unlike Victoria Secrets it promotes having bras for any size woman with any size breats and supporting them currectly and not just pushing them out for all to see.

    ReplyDelete