Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Tweet Tweet: Have Advertisers Found A Marketplace in Twitter?


The concept of social networking is nothing new to us. We comment on photos, 'like' status, and even tweet about our daily routine. So why shouldn't advertisers try and utilize social media to their advantage? Well, advertisers have already seen success in using Facebook as a medium for their ads. The social network even has a program that will only show ads to match its users interests listed in their profile. And from my personal experience and that of others I know they find this to be an invasion of privacy. But what about Twitter?

We know that Twitter is yet another network that marketers have been trying to infiltrate with advertisements and promotions. And so it begs the question...how do people feel about this? According to a market research survey conducted by Lab42, 24.8% have seen promoted tweets on Twitter and not been bothered by them. That's nearly twice the amount of Twitter users who have a positive experience with product ads on the social website. 

This is good news for Twitter and here is why:

1) Users aren't overlooking the social media because of advertisements. Generally speaking large businesses are worried that this will hurt their usership...Twitter has no such problems at the moment. 

2) A good group of users actually like the ads on Twitter. This means that Twitter can expand into other methods of advertising and promotion on its site.

Personally I feel that ads on Twitter are less evasive than on Facebook. The ads on Twitter can be regulated based on what you follow and many organizations have Twitter pages exclusively for promotions. Facebook on the other hand advertises its site heavily. The side bars of your news feed are cluttered with ads and while you may be interested in what the ads are selling, it doesn't appeal to me ascetically. But what do you think of advertising in social media? Do you love it, hate it, or not mind it at all? I think I fall into the category of not minding the ads so much because you have the option of ignoring them if you choose to. Either way, Twitter has joined other social media and made its advertising presence known.

For more information about users reactions to Twitter's advertising click here 

2 comments:

  1. I recently just jumped onto the Twitter bandwagon, and feel very similar to you about the promotions and advertisements I have encountered so far. I think that part of my acceptance to the promos was my active involvement in finding them. Unlike on Facebook, where ads just appear for my interests, on Twitter I followed the companies I wanted to hear from. I feel like instead of intruding onto my life, I invited them into it and therefore am more accepting to the promos I see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also have had a twitter and I find that the advertisments are not annoying but instead beneficial to learning about new products. I follow companies and stores that I like and therefore get ads geared towards the things that I would be interested. Also, not just advertisments, but Twitter is also an excellent way to receive news about what is happening in the world.

    ReplyDelete