Thursday, April 11, 2013

Diet Coke vs. Pepsi = Taylor Swift vs. Beyoncé



            Taylor Swift made her debut as a brand ambassador for Diet Coke this week with a new commercial titled “Music that Moves.” The ad “recreates the artistic process of writing ’22,’ a song from [Taylor’s] latest album, which apparently involved a lot of journal entries, a lot of red lipstick and a lot of Diet Coke,” wrote Emma Bazilian when commenting about the ad of the day.

Here is the ad: 


             There are many people out there, especially young girls, who love Taylor Swift…like REALLY love her! But I have noticed that older people don’t really care for her or her music. In fact, I have personally heard people my age call her “annoying” and refer to her music as a “15 year old girl’s diary.” So, I’m a little confused: who is the target audience for Diet Coke’s commercial? They will definitely be talked about by teenage girls but is that really who they are trying to impress?
            About a month ago Pepsi (Coke’s MAJOR rival) released their new commercial featuring superstar and SUPER sexy Beyoncé. That commercial “Mirrors” features Beyonce's path since she started being the spokesperson for Pepsi 10 years ago. 

Check out Beyonce's commercial below:



 I believe that Pepsi does a much better job of portraying a brand image with their spokesperson. Pepsi defines itself for being “fresh” and appealing to younger people. In my opinion, Beyoncé has the ability to attract this audience. Whether they like her or not, nobody can deny she can dance. Pepsi knows this and they use it to attract their audience in her commercials.
            I wonder which commercial will be more successful… I think that it will be Pepsi but who knows. I’m curious to hear what others have to say about it.  
            

2 comments:

  1. Those two commercials gave such polar opposite reactions for me when I watched them, even though the product is nearly identical. Like a LOT of people, I find Taylor Swift to be vapid and immature - that's pretty much all I can think when I see her, especially being all "deep" as she is attempting to be in this advertisement. Beyonce, however, shines in this ad really bringing to life the "live for now" slogan of Pepsi. As a larger than life performer with staying power of more than a decade, she has a past of many different faces, costumes, and dance moves, but like Pepsi, she doesn't live for her past. She lives for now, which is why she's been able to remain such a powerhouse of star quality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taylor Swift’s Diet Pepsi Advertisement

    http://www.dinkypage.com/taylor-swift-pepsi

    ReplyDelete