Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Vanilla (Everywhere) Ice



And again, Vanilla Ice finds a new venture in his never-ending career. Each year, Kraft Mac & Cheese releases a new macaroni shape that entices cheesy macaroni lovers near and far. 2014 is the year of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and having been part of the TMNT movie, Kraft chose Vanilla Ice to introduce it. The connection between Ice and TMNT seems relevant, but I question the message they are sending to more modern consumers.

Vanilla Ice brings back childhood memories for parents that have purchased the Mac & Cheese for years, but what about the new generation of parents? Kraft has already won over the now, older audience that is likely to relate and enjoy this commercial. I would think that it would be more important to target new consumers. When my generation thinks of Vanilla Ice, one-hit-wonder, Rachael vs. Guy Celebrity Cook Off, The Vanilla Ice Project and Vanilla Ice goes Amish on the DIY Network come to mind. The Ice Ice Baby star's very, very long resume has become a joke to most. For one of the biggest companies in the game, I would think Kraft would be more innovative. It’s time to move on from the Vanilla Ice generation and bring in new blood to represent your company, Kraft.

1 comment:

  1. I really like this post, specifically because it has three things that I enjoy; Vanilla Ice, Ninja Turtles and mac and cheese. However, I think Kraft is really reaching here, I think that theres is a big stretch in how much these three things relate, which can cause major confusion. Also Vanilla Ice is making himself look desperate with each program or commercial he accepts, but he has to make money some how I guess. Nice Post.

    ReplyDelete