Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Television Ads and Giving Celebrities a New Personality




The most recent Geico television ads with Ickey Woods really showcased to me the ability that tv ads have in giving celebrities/ ex-pro athletes a new chapter in their fame.  I'm sure we are all familiar with the Geico commercial where the ex-Cincinnati Bengal celebrates with his infamous "Ickey Shuffle" at the deli when his number is called to pick up his beloved cold cuts.  In the wake of this hit ad, Geico has come out with a few more cold cut-themed ads with Mr. Woods and I get a kick out of them every time.



Its pretty amazing to me how advertisiers have this ability to give  celebrities this fresh and new image.  If you would have asked a random person on the street who Ickey Woods was in June, I am sure they would have had a difficult time coming up with a response let alone saying he used to play in the NFL.  Then again, they may still have a hard time today but if you mention the phrase "cold cuts," I can only imagine how bright the lightbulb would go off above their head.  Theses Geico ads have certainly given Ickey this new chapter for his career under the spotlight.

I look at the Direct TV ads with Rob Lowe the same way.  While Rob Lowe has remained under the spotlight much more consistently than Ickey, I am a firm believer that Direct TV has recharged Mr. Lowe's celebrity battery with his quirky characters "Painfully Awkward Rob Lowe", "Super Creepy Robe Lowe", and " Crazy Hairy Rob Lowe".  Although, I'm sure the Parks and Recreation fans would like to think otherwise.



The advertising industry can be very influential.  Not only with the messaging, branding, and promoting that happens with the industry's day-to-day grind, but with the ability to create these new characters and giving old characters a tune up by associating them with a brand, image, or idea.  I can only imagine how many times Ickey has been stopped in the grocery store deli over the past few months.



1 comment:

  1. I have to completely agree with this post. Over the past couple weeks I have noticed a lot of commercials re-sparking celebrities and athletes. An example I have noticed was the Papa John ads that have been involving Peyton manning and Papa John, recently they have brought in Joe Montana who has not been in the spotlight for a while and it intrigued me enough to go back and check him out. It included also bringing Mr. Montana into a new generation.

    ReplyDelete