Monday, December 5, 2011

It's that time of year again

miracle_on_34th_street_image

Every year around Christmas time when I turn on my TV, I feel like I always see the same movie playing; Miracle on 34th Street. While I know it is a holiday classical and many people watch it every year as a tradition, I can't help but think of how Macy's must really love the free advertising. Macy's and Gimbels are two very big parts of that movie and while I'm sure they don't boast about the free advertising every year, they had to have thought about it when that holiday classic was being created.

Product placement is a very common thing now a days and has been for a very long time, but it makes me wonder if Macy's involvement in Miracle on 34th Street is product placement of the 1940's. Miracle on 34th Street is played all Christmas season and since Macy's is still a powerful department store, they get free advertising all Christmas season. I do shop at Macy's and my mother did manage one at a point in her life so I'm not bashing Macy's, but more on the lines of congratulating them for being clever enough to decide to be in Miracle on 34th Street.

1 comment: