Sunday, December 4, 2011

Target's secret strategy


Have you ever noticed when you walk into Target that there is never any music playing? I never actually noticed it until my roommate mentioned it the other day. Target chooses not to play music to allow the customer to not focus on anything except what they are purchasing in the store. It's like targets secret weapon. As simple as that seems, it's actually a very complex decision that companies have to make. Music is a very large impact on one's experience.

I work at a Barnes and Noble cafe and deciding on the music to be played is ridiculously complex. Since we serve Starbucks coffee, we originally were told we had to have the 'Starbucks atmophsere' to go along with it; which meant loud, obnoxious music. Starbucks music at the required level is supposed to be actually quite distracting and annoying. At my work, we obviously decided not to follow their standards and play enjoyable music for our customers.

For as simple as music is, no music at Target kind of surprises me, but what I'm even more curious about is the fact that I never seem to have cell service in Targets either. Another one of their secret strategies? Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment