Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Samsung: Growing Up Campaign


During their "Growing up” campaign, Samsung was able to use a variety of advertising strategies to communicate with smartphone users.  The iPhone once started out as a revolutionary product that could provide tools and services to consumers, however Apple seems to be more concerned with profit, as opposed to providing such services.  Samsung used competitive strategies to drive this campaign, targeting areas of weakness for Apple that consumers are beginning to become concerned about.  
As years go by, prices of Apple products, specifically the iPhone, continue to rise.  However, although prices are rising, there seems to be a lack of innovation with each model.  Each release usually introduces new charging cords, new cases, new headphones, and several other products that need to be purchased with the new model, resulting in a very large grand total.  This was shown during the campaign, when the Apple user had several cords plugged into the iPhone and the Samsung user did not.  Samsung was also able to portraying that Apple consumers can be viewed as "prisoners" who are unable or unwilling to stray from Apple no matter what.  This was shown, when Apple customers were waiting outside in the rain, with the Samsung consumer casually walking by.  With recent criticism of the price of the iPhone X, being accused of slowing down older models, as well as the issues Samsung addressed in this campaign, many wonder if Apple consumers will begin to seek other providers.

Samsung was able to show that Apple has become more of a brand as opposed to a product and service provider.  Consumers are more concerned with having the latest iPhone, rather than buying a product for the specific services it offers.  Some Apple consumers will even order the newest iPhone before actually testing it.  These are all issues that Samsung was able to bring to light.  There are other Smartphone providers that can provide similar and some may argue, more innovative services and Samsung was able to demonstrate that with their “Growing Up” advertising campaign.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I honestly believe viewing pieces of this campaign on TV and on YouTube, that made me start thinking about the switch to a new smartphone provider. I was a die-hard "NO APPLE" products kind of person when I got my first cellphone. I didn't think I needed a tiny computer in my hands at all times. But of course, that changed. I got my first iPhone my junior year of high school and vowed to never go back. I fell for the Apple gig. I thought I needed a MacBook and every accessory they sold to ,”make my life easier”. Yet, as I get more and more integrated into my professional life, I am seeing the price of these phones go up, with really nothing super extra offered; which can be seen in this campaign as well as your writing. I was never into name brands either in high school but I do agree with you that Apple is now a brand rather than a product/service. It is important for consumers to see that their money is going towards ease of access, sophistication, and making every day, just, simple. No need to think about battery life or cord, and not worrying about storage, or if your phone is wet; Samsung is trying to show you that your phone shouldn’t own you. You should own your phone and get back to living life; very subtle and very clever.

    ReplyDelete