Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Saying "Adiós" to a Legend

Dos Equis announced in March that they will be ending "The Most Interesting Man in the World" campaign. The advertisements have been going on in the U.S. since 2006, so I am sure that everyone is as sad as I am to see such a well known advertising campaign leave us after ten short years.

Who could forget when the most interesting man graced our TV screens for the first time? In this commercial, not only does he free a wild bear and become friends with it but he also apparently has the most amazing beard in the world.


His iconic slogan, "Stay Thirsty My Friends", I'm sure, will last for generations to come. This campaign was clearly effective, with a grow in case sales by 34.8% between 2007 and 2015.

How does one go about ending the career of the most interesting man in the world? That's simple, send him where no man has gone before, Mars.


If you pause the video right at 28 seconds, you will notice that his friend, the bear, is there to send him off along with hundreds of other people from around the world. It's hard to say goodbye to a great amigó, but I could not imagine him leaving in a better fashion.


1 comment:

  1. Agreed.
    I'm sad to see him go. I remember seeing big cutouts of him out in Gambier, Ohio during my years in college, I saw his cinematic spots in movie theaters before trailers, and he graced us with many a Superbowl commercial. This obviously was a big budget campaign.. and clearly it established a cult following.

    Even so, Dos Equis is one of my least favorite beers- kudos for reinventing a shoddy beer's brand.

    ReplyDelete