Saturday, February 13, 2016

An Ode To YouTube

So, we've all been there. You don't feel like Netflixing, and Facebook/Twitter/MySpace (if that's still your thing)/Everything else is boring you. Enter, YouTube. It's the greatest, because all you do is bounce around from topic to topic. In case you have some kind of organization to your YouTube browsing, let me show you what I mean.

What I've used YouTube for in the last few hours:
  • music videos
  • game highlights and player interviews 
  • make-up tutorials 
  • all of Snopp Dogg's plizzanet earth (truly, a masterpiece of our generation. 10/10 would recommend.)
  • buzzfeed videos 
  • montages of puppies
YouTube is the Super Wal-Mart of the Internet. There's everything on YouTube. It's fair to say that our lives have improved since the video site has been around.

So what has YouTube done for advertising?

First and foremost, it's changed the way companies advertise using videos. Nowadays, you'll see adds running on popular videos. These ads vary in length, anywhere from 15 seconds time to a minute. A lot of times, these videos will just be shorter or modified versions of the company's ads that run on TV.

Secondly, it's changed the way pop-ups happen. The pop-ups can now be embedded into the video, prompting viewers to "click for more" or "subscribe" to other videos and channels.

It's also allowed for advertisers to really hone in on their audiences, and target a specific part of the market.

For instance, as I mentioned above, I was watching beauty tutorials earlier. Before one of them, there was a rather lengthy advertisement for eyeshadow. I was annoyed, yes, but also intrigued that Covergirl took the time to advertise specifically to people watching make up and hair videos. That's pretty smart.

On the other hand, advertisers on YouTube also just saturate the market, and add their commercial to everything. Most recently, it's been the one with Amy Schumer.


What do you think works? What doesn't?

Regardless, I think we can all agree that, since its creation in 2005, YouTube changed the World Wide Web for the better.

3 comments:

  1. I agree that certain companies definitely oversaturate the advertising space on YouTube. I mean if Im watching old hockey highlights chances are Im not going to want to buy new insurance, but thats just me. With that being said some companies definitely do a great job of advertising on YouTube, as you mentioned above they found the videos their target demographic would be using and advertised appropriately,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that certain companies definitely oversaturate the advertising space on YouTube. I mean if Im watching old hockey highlights chances are Im not going to want to buy new insurance, but thats just me. With that being said some companies definitely do a great job of advertising on YouTube, as you mentioned above they found the videos their target demographic would be using and advertised appropriately,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your point, "youtube is the Super-Walmart of the internet." I can agree that we've all been there, sometimes I find myself sitting in front of my computer screen staring at youtube videos for endless hours. Usually, I end up watching the most pointless things on the internet. It is an endless cycle of surfing the internet. Youtube definitely did change the World Wide Web.

    ReplyDelete