Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Billboards - Why Are They Still A Thing

Billboards. Love them, hate them, fail to notice them, whatever you're deal is with them, they're here. They're a staple in advertising, and have been around (supposably) since the 1450s.

Here's my question - why are companies still using them? With all the other ways to advertise nowadays, why spend the time and money on billboards?

Over the last decade or so, companies have gotten pretty creative with how they infiltrate their markets. Part of the reason for this change is simply because mass advertising is not as effective as it used to be.

Product markets are packed with different companies trying to sell you the same things, and by just throwing blanket ads out to the general public, companies are not seeing much success. That's because organizations are heavily focused on their own specific target demographics.

A huge player, obviously, is social media. Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and others all sell ad space that have the potential to reach millions of users multiple times of day. Billboards, other than those in New York City, just don't have that kind of reach.


Personally, I don't think billboards are effective. Maybe I'm just oblivious, or I drive too fast, but I never pay attention to them, regardless of whether or not they're digital.

That being said, there have been a few that have grabbed my attention.

This one, for distracted driving, is well done. It's kind of a conundrum, but I think the message gets across:


Morbid? Yes. Necessary? Given the number of people who die from texting and driving, I'd say so.

Then there's this one. It's right off I-290 in Worcester MA, and I pass by it all the time:


I don't know who puts these out, but they really need to do less. I'm just trying to drive, not have an existential crisis triggered by questioning my mortal fate.

Billboards. Take them or leave them?

3 comments:

  1. I agree that most billboards are ineffective. They need to convey the message but not as a distracting, life altering image. Some billboards are great to look at and show creativity but others are ruining what they are trying to persuade others to act on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In different points, branding of a business can be showed through LED video walls Toronto. So that many people are aware of the upcoming situation. It contains good picture quality and can be synchronized.

    ReplyDelete