Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Unpredictability in the Game

As the entire country sits down to watch the most important game of the year, The Super Bowl, many – like myself - are really only interested in the Super Bowl commercials. I am that one person who does not understand anything about football and will be on my phone during the game and then staring at the TV during the commercials. This year, what caught my attention were the commercials that were quite, well, unpredictable. It was fun to see people in the room trying to guess which brands owned the advertisement and then getting really surprised at the end of the commercial realizing that the brand behind the commercial was not any of the ones they had initially thought of. 

The idea is very interesting as it engages viewers and deals with people's rational side of the brain while they are trying to decode the advertisement. This type of advertisement also tends to stick with people for a longer period of time because they had to actually think about the advertisement, therefore having a longer recall of it.

Some examples from this year's Super Bowl that got me trying to figure out the brand behind the advertisement were these three very clever ideas:

Avocados from Mexico:


Michelob Ultra:


Buick - Cascada Convertible:


I was going to let you decipher them but I am sure we have all seen them on TV. I also am sure that every single one of you readers were just as clueless as me of who the brand behind the ad was during these commercials when you first aired on TV. What do you think about these ads?

No comments:

Post a Comment