Friday, February 12, 2016

Using Celebrities in Ads - It Doesn't Always Work

For whatever reason, we love celebrities. We love knowing who's marrying who, who's going bankrupt, who's selling out, who's cheating, and who's career is washed-up. Check any magazine stand, and you'll see glossy cover after glossy cover describing famous people doing the same mundane things we all do, but it's somehow more noteworthy because they're famous, and we're not. (See: Celebrities doing things.)

Therefore, it comes as no surprise that some companies and organizations choose to advertise with celebrities. Actors, actresses, singers, and a whole host of different athletes appear in ads for a variety of products and services.

Take Taylor Swift and Diet Coke. The music megastar recently signed to a partnership with Diet Coke.

(Sidenote - Hey Coke-a-Cola, I have an idea for your "Share a Coke with" campaign: Create a line of bottles and cans solely with Taylor's ex's names on them. Joe, Conor, Jake, Harry, Zac, John....they're all generic, anyway. Mark them as such. Instead of insisting to "Share a Coke" with an ex, put catchy song lyrics. i.e. - "i knew you were trouble", "we are never ever getting back together," ect. and insist on promoting all over social media. This perfectly blends crazy ex-girlfriend with extended embarrassment of said ex-boyfriends, and wonderfully captures the passive-agressive nature of high school breakups, which is what Taylor primarily sings about. Right in time for Valentine's Day. #nailedit)

Pepsi, not wanting to be outdone by archenemy Coke, launched a commercial, starring a different music queen.



So, which one is better? There is definitely a right and wrong answer, but I guess everyone's entitled to their own opinion. Even if it's wrong.

Is using celebrities like this an effective way of advertising? In my opinion, no, especially as far as soda (or "Pop", for all you crazy Yinzers) goes. Queen Bey is #Flawless, yes..but just because she's drinking Pepsi in that ad doesn't make Pepsi any less gross to me. I personally hate Pepsi. I'm team Coke all the way, but not because of Taylor Swift. I just think Coke is better than Pepsi.

Another reason why I don't think this works is because it's soda and not something that Beyonce or Taylor would really have any in-depth knowledge on. I think Swift should advertise on something she's really known for, like red lipstick or something.

And maybe in that ad she can give a 15 second tutorial on how to put on red lipstick without looking like an absolute fool.

@Taylor: How do you get your lipstick on so perfectly? How is it not everywhere? Every time I try to wear red lipstick, I look like I just got punched in the mouth and my lips are busted, which is the exact opposite effect I go for when trying to wear lipstick. How do I go from "someone get that girl some ice, her mouth is bleeding" to "wow, totally Joulie worthy pout"? Teach me your ways, Swift.

Celebrities should stick to advertising to things they care about and things they know about.

Perfect example, one of my favorite hockey players and yours, Pascal Dupuis.


Now, maybe I'm biased, but I feel like I can safely assume Dupuis knows the sport of hockey. So, if I was in the market for hockey gear, I'd trust his opinion. Volia! An effective ad.

Celebrities should stick to what they know and what they're known for, and it will be a better advertisement for all parties involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment