Friday, April 20, 2018

Jose Cuervo - Last Days

Personally, this is one of my all-time favorite commercials. José Cuervo's, "Last Days" commercial came out in March of last year. This quick, two-minute long video portrays the coming apocalypse that we have all been "fearful" of since 2012 into a magical, end of the world romance and whimsical goodbye. As the classic song, "It's Now or Never" by Elis Presley gets played on the juke box in a small, rundown bar, a man decides to enjoy his last moments on earth by dancing, and is quickly joined by a female patron. As everyone else decides to go along with the dancing couple, the ground beneath them begins to shake, and the building starts to be ripped apart as a seemingly giant black hole above starts to swallow anything in its path.


The commercial ends with the name Cuervo shown as a neon light above the words, "tomorrow is overrated". The "tomorrow is overrated" slogan was made into a hashtag for the commercial that was then implemented on the company's Twitter account. To date, this commercial has over 3,000,000 views on Youtube and counting, with many people enjoying the specials effects and theme of the advertisement itself. I personally think Jose Cuervo not only created an extremely visually appealing ad, but also executed the theme of an overrated tomorrow very well. It is a common dilemma that people 21 and over face - should I go out tonight? Will I regret drinking in the morning? 
And I think this advertisement helps to answer those questions. To just go for it - tomorrow may not even come. 

3 comments:

  1. I found this commercial very entertaining when I first watched it. It seemed creative, and conveyed it's message perfectly. I agree that this is a visually appealing, and I also agree that it's message is very effective. The music fit very well, too. Over all, I think this commercial is one of the brand's very best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also enjoyed this commercial and think your depiction on the overall strategy of the ad was spot on. I also think that consumers can relate to or remember ads when a 'message' stays with them. I personally never seem to remember the actual visuals of a commercial, but if there is a message I personally believe in, I will always remember that.

    ReplyDelete