Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Samsung Galaxy: Growing Up Commercial

Smartphones have become a necessity in todays world. Because of this growing need, smart phone companies try to maintain the upper hand against their competitors. With massively consumer used companies such as Apple, this can be a challenge. However, Samsung's smartphones can be considered Apple's top competition. As the rivalry between Android and iPhone users continues to grow, persuasive advertising becomes an important tactic in stealing customers away from competition.

Last November, Samsung released their commercial titled, "Growing Up", which features  the chronological story of a loyal iPhone user who eventually decides to switch to a Samsung phone after realizing the iPhone might not be worth it anymore.

Samsung utilized real customer complaints and issues regarding the durability, format, and capability of an iPhone throughout the commercial with various examples such as its lack of strong battery life and loss of a headphone jack with the newest iPhone models. Samsung cleverly implemented the concept of "growth" and gave valuable insight on how brand loyalty isn't always beneficial, event after years of being a diehard consumer.

Being an iPhone user myself over the past 8 years or so, this commercial made me think about why I am so adamant about continuing using Apple products. I can't stand how weak my battery life is. I'm tired of my screen cracking. And I am especially upset that I no longer have a separate charging and headphone port. I haven't received any special offers for being a consistent iPhone user, and the more I spend on accessories and easy-to-break chargers, the less interested I've become in staying with Apple. Perhaps I've started to outgrow them too.

2 comments:

  1. I think this is a really great commercial. The best thing I think Samsung has done though is take what people talk about, and turn it into their ad. Everyone talks about how they stick with the iPhone but don't know why. Instead of Samsung making a classic boring ad showing their product, they created a relatable story and I'm sure this was very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As an Iphone user, I really related to this commercial. I think Samsung really hit it out of the park with this one and am curious to see if sales went up following the airing of this ad.

    ReplyDelete