Monday, April 14, 2014

Netflix Takes a Fan to Prom

In an ingenius play of social media advertising, Netflix agreed to go third-wheel at the prom of one of their customers.

This of course raises the question of how a streaming service goes to prom.

Netflix gave the lucky high schooler Muthana Sweis a tuxedo, a car, and a driver. His options to choose from were all inspired by films and tv shows available on netflix. He chose to sport James Bond's tuxedo from Skyfall, the car from the movie grease, and of course Danny Zuco as his driver. Sweis was undoubtedly the talk of the junior prom, and Netflix looked like the true star. With this advertising stunt Netflix engaged directly with a fan (who is  most likely apart of a key demographic for the company) and showed other companies just how important social media is becoming in the current marketplace.

Here's the video Netflix made to help promote the event.

1 comment:

  1. Wow this is the coolest idea ever and I'm so jealous of Muthana! I would have loved to be given the choice of wardrobe and ride when I went to my prom! This is an awesome way to directly interact with fans and I love Netflix even more for it. I hope to see more videos and social media stunts like this. I liked the addition of the prom video, it displayed how Netflix made that night feel so special for Muthana.

    ReplyDelete