Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Get Real. Get Outside.

I came across some ads the other day that caught my eye because of the large copy and the bright background, but mostly the copy. Each of the 4 ads had a different copy and a different picture, but were for the same company and had the same punchline: "Get Real. Get Outside.". At first I was a little bit confused about the ads because I wasn't familiar with the company for whom the ads were advertising, which was Stihl, an international chainsaw company. How much the ads represent their company is a little bit questionable just because myself, as someone who isn't familiar with the company had no idea what they were advertising, but it did inspire me to jump on Google and figure out what Stihl was. Once I found out what the company sold I was like, "Oh, that's pretty cool", but before that I was unsure. None-the-less, the ads are very eye catching and creative. I LOVE the idea that they're taking things from todays technologically advanced world and applying them to the outdoors, it's really catchy. And I love it because it kind of reminds you that things like Playstation, wireless, color displays, and Twitter are things that we could definitely take a break from and "get real", as the ad says, and go do things outdoors that don't involve technology. I think that the way the imagery is used and where the copy is placed is pretty perfect. It catches your eye and gets straight to the point. You don't have to search for the company name, as it's in bright orange in the top corner in a nice sized font. So overall, I went from not knowing who Stihl was or what they sold, to remembering them because of their vibrant and creative ads. As for the rest of the ads, you can find them on this site: http://adsoftheworld.com/search/aotw/stihl

1 comment:

  1. I really like this ad as well. I do agree that without prior knowledge of the company, most people may come away without an understanding of what the company provides. However, I see the purpose of this ad as selling an idea or lifestyle change rather than a product. Stihl is not trying to make people buy a chainsaw with this advertisement; they're trying to sell people on the outdoors. I find ads like this very refreshing in a consumerist culture that is always telling us to buy, buy, buy.

    ReplyDelete