Monday, February 13, 2012

Westin Hotels & Resorts: For a Better You

Element of Well-Being No. 12:
A good night's sleep is proven to reduce stress, improve focus, and better memory.
Our Heavenly Bed has been engineered with exactly that in mind.


Today, I came across an advertisement for Westin Hotels & Resorts in an issue of Self Magaine, which is fitting because the ads focus on the well-being of consumers. It was not the ad above, but it was similar and featured the same basic information, including the headline, "Element of Well-Being" and the slogan, "For a Better You." Because the ad was numbered (ex. "No. 12"), I decided to see what other ads the hotel chain had produced. 

Of the ones that I found, I liked this one the best. I felt that the image best-represented the message: getting a good night's sleep. All of Westin's ads feature a good bit of whitespace, which in this case, adds to the feelings of comfort and luxury that the company is trying to convey. The ads are very delicate and cater to the emotions of the viewers. Westin wants their consumers to know that, when choosing a hotel or resort for travel, they can rely on the company to deliver a relaxing and utterly enjoyable experience. It is company's goal to make you feel comfortable.

I believe that this ad communicates that message well. It is very light and "airy" and makes you want to relax for the night in a super-comfortable Heavenly Bed. They even make the bed of balloons look wonderful to sleep on! The colors, lighting, and type selection all work well together to create the look of comfort and relaxation. Though the ad uses only grey and white, there is enough contrast to keep the viewer interested.

The emphasis is on the balloon bed in the center of the ad, with the use of bright white and additional lighting effects. This is how the viewer is introduced to the idea of comfort and well-being. However, the rising balloon to the left of the ad moves the viewers eyes upward to the copy of the ad, which explains, in more detail, the offerings of Westin Hotels & Resorts. Your eye then travels to the bottom right corner where you see the name of the hotel. 

I was impressed with the ads that I saw from Westin and believe that they have a great campaign to accomplish their goals. I feel relaxed when I look at their ads, but also want to experience the luxury of one of their resorts. Also, I think the idea to number the benefits on the ads was a great addition. It makes me wonder what other perks the company has to offer my health and well-being.  



No comments:

Post a Comment