Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Gone Country





I grew up listening to country music, so I like to watch some country music videos on CMT and GAC every once in awhile. I know that not everyone listens to country music and it typically attracts a particular group of followers. The same holds true for the television shows aired on these networks (Bayou Billionaires, anyone?). Now, I usually only watch these networks simply for the music rather than the television shows, so I never really paid attention to the advertising. But the other day I did see a commercial that caught my attention. And then I realized how media placement can make or break an advertising campaign.

Most of the television shows that I watch are on the major networks like CBS, so I see a lot of the same commercials that appeal mostly to families, such as food products and department stores. But the commercial I saw on CMT made me think, "I don't think they could show this commercial on any other network."

The commercial was for a new fragrance line called SOUL2SOUL by Faith Hill and Tim McGraw. There is a scent for men and one for women. If you don't know, the two are husband and wife and are two of country music's biggest superstars. And if you did't know who they were, that's probably the reason why the commercial is aired on CMT. The network has a specific group of viewers. Therefore, I can't see the commercial having success on any other network. After that commercial, I noted the other commercials that aired on these networks. Some others included Dodge pick up trucks, Hesston farming equipment, and goRVing.com. These may sound a bit cheesy and stereotypical, but they truly are reaching their target market..though I may be a bit of an exception.


No comments:

Post a Comment