Wednesday, February 1, 2012


Twitter, one of the world's fastest growing social media sites, has again confirmed that they will be focusing solely on advertising for revenue.

Much like Facebook's company pages and featured ads, Twitter will be using brand pages, which may come at a cool $25,000 for companies, and "promoted Tweets" as advertising revenue. Facebook's featured ads placement on the side of users' homepages is not quite as obtrusive or annoying as Twitter's promoted Tweets which are plopped down smack dab in the middle of everyone's Twitter feed.

I understand the need for advertising to create revenue for companies like Facebook and Twitter, but right in the middle of my feed. It's obtrusive and unwelcome. To me, it's like plopping a ad right in the middle of my news story or a 30-second radio spot in a personal phone call. It's an eyesore that I don't wish to deal with. If I choose to follow these companies, fine. I fully expect to see their shameless promotion of products and services all over my feed. Otherwise, these ads belong along the side of the page or somewhere less conspicuous. In-my-face advertising is certainly not the way to get my business and annoying me by showing up in places that I haven't invited you isn't either.

The article on Twitter advertising can be found at: http://adage.com/article/digital/twitter-ceo-dick-costolo-100-focused-advertising/232430/

No comments:

Post a Comment