Saturday, November 5, 2011

Antispokesman makes a great spokesman

I've never actually seen an advertisement or commercial for Columbia Sportswear...or at least I don't remember seeing one. But when I read about the new campaign for their Omni-Heat Electric line of outwear clothing, I was not only shocked by how crazy Wim Hof is, but also at how creative the campaign is. The New York Times describes Wim Hof, a Dutchman who has trained his body to overcome subzero temperatures while running, hiking, swimming, etc., as the antispokesman for Columbia Sportswear due to the fact that he isn't wearing any Columbia sportswear during the ad. In fact, he isn't wearing much more than a pair of shorts.
In a commercial that will only be posted online, Columbia Sportswear explains that clearly the average person cannot do what Hof can, and therefore must use their Omni-Heat Electric products.
The antispokesperson is a clever idea and I think it will be extremely effective in their campaign. However, I think they should do more than just post the commercial online and give it some air time in order to reach a broader range of people.

For the entire article: click here !!

1 comment:

  1. I agree that this is a clever use of a famous person to promote their brand. And, I also agree that they should use different media outlets so that their ad can be reached to other people. Otherwise, many consumers will not see the ad.

    ReplyDelete