Monday, November 28, 2011

Black Friday Funny


We all know Black Friday is not for everyone – but Targets ongoing seasonal ad campaign is. When done right humor can be a strong marketing strategy. In targets ads for Black Friday shopping, they have found something that works. This series of TV commercials features a crazed and intense Target shopper preparing for the Black Friday deals and specials Target offers.This Target shopper is better known as “the Christmas Champ”, played by standup comedian Maria Bamford. She does an excellent job in creating a humorous personality that many people are able to laugh at.

One reason these ads work is because they bring a light hearted and funny aspect to a day that is usually surrounded with stress and seriousness. It gives customers a chance to step back and think about how crazy the concept of Black Friday shopping can become. It also reaches a wide target audience, something that is pivotal for any Target commercial. Because Target has such a large selection and variety of merchandise, they need to create advertisements that will reach a large and differentiated target audience. Humor is something that all people can identify with and appreciate. By incorporating it into their Black Friday commercials, Target has successfully created awareness surrounding their Black Friday deals this year. If you haven't already take a look at one of these commercials below, or if you would rather read more about these commercials click here!




5 comments:

  1. These series of commercials are funny, and from what I've seen Target will continue to use her throughout the rest of the holiday. However, I don't think the concept is TOO original. Many companies have been taking the "crazy shopper" approach. While the actress herself is unique and has her own style which adds to the commercials, the idea seems too familiar to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this was an entertaining ad as well. However, I was discussing this ad with some family over the holidays and they did not receive it as well. One avid Black Friday shopper in particular noted that it was kind of a turn off because the woman was such an "extreme" kind of crazy. It didn't bother me, but I think Target should be aware that this idea does not translate as humorous for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think these commercials are funny. People do get a little crazy around the holidays, especially on Black Friday. The exaggeration of this is entertaining. Also since it is the same lady every time and every year, it stands out amoung other Black Friday and holiday commercials, because whne it comes on or you see that lady you know right away that it is a Target commercial.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I first saw this ad, I thought it was hilarious. I think the aspect that really made me enjoy it was that I could actually see people like her shopping. I went shopping on black friday and I've seen people literally race to grab products off the shelves. While I don't think people are as extreme as the woman in the videos, everyone knows someone who acts like her, even just a little bit. Very well done by Target in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete