Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Dr. Pepper Target Strategy


The Dr. Pepper advertising campaign for their new product, Dr. Pepper 10, is clearly targeting men. The slogan, "IT'S NOT FOR WOMEN", seems to be a sexist comment and could cause an uproar among feminist women. One woman actually wrote to Dr. Pepper to complain and the response she recieved was from a female customer relations rep that stated, "We hope you, too, will come to see our advertising campaign for what it is, a humorous take on the many men who are worried about their waistlines but are too “manly” to drink a diet soda". This advertising campaign was not created to offend women, but to allow men to think it can be manly to drink a low calorie drink and not be ridiculed.

Most women think with their feelings and emotions instead of their brains when they get offended, so when it comes to this sort of sexist advertisement they would automatically think, or as i thought, "I will drink it if I want to". By thinking this, it would make me want to go out and purchase it just to say that I am very capable of drinking the 10 bold calorie soda and that it is not just for men. Seeing that this is how I would respond to the advertisment, if other women would do the same, it is targeting women just as much as it is targeting men. But this mentality I have could just be the advertising side coming out of me.

1 comment:

  1. the first time i saw this commercial i was so mad! I had the opposite reaction that you did-when I saw it it made me not want to buy the soda at all.

    ReplyDelete