Monday, April 9, 2012

Stick Happens.

It's obvious that Mini Cooper is trying to make a statement in their newest ads with the headline "Stick Happens". Since most Americans prefer automatic transmissions today, Mini Cooper took a bold move when they made these ads. The fine print reads "At Mini, we think it's time to manual up. Why? More control, better gas mileage. More pure motoring exhilaration, that's why. Yes, it might take a little getting used to. But darn it, it's worth it. Because if you're not already, we're gonna make a manual out of you yet", with a picture of the manual shifter featured next to it. I have mixed emotions on this ad. When I first saw it, it caught my eye because of the bold, big headline and the red car on the black background with a spotlight on it. So from that perspective, it's attractive. The fine print however, I feel as though they could've went without. Although their wording is catchy and they give the consumer the key benefits of stick shift, I feel as though they go a little too in depth. But that might just be me. When I first saw the ad I knew right away that they were advertising stick shift. Overall, I do think that the ad is successful. It comes off very classy like a BMW or Mercedes ad would, but I feel it is more geared towards a young crowd. I really like the color choices as well.

For more info on the new ads, check out this article on AdAge: http://adage.com/article/news/auto-marketers-stick-manual-transmissions/233951/

1 comment:

  1. I definitely think that this was kind of a smart thing for the MINI company to do. I think that one of the biggest challenges in the auto industry is really being distinct and establishing not only one but a couple brand differentiations. Not only is the MINI Cooper already distinct in their size of their car, known they are implementing the idea of being known as the go-to car for shift sticks. It's a really bold idea seeing as most people prefer automatic cars which is why I think it pairs really great with the bold copy.

    Hopefully, it doesn't backfire on them trying to identify their brand with stick shift users versus automatic users.

    ReplyDelete