Monday, April 15, 2019

Oreo's + Peanut Butter: The Parent Trap

The first time I had come across peanut butter and Oreos was when I watched The Parent Trap when I was a kid. At the time, that creation was just some innovative idea that I have never thought of myself (which is curious considering I love chocolate + peanut butter). But now with advertising-focused eyes, I recognize a brilliant strategic advertising move done by Oreo. 

This product placement is organic and very fluid. The Oreos are being dipped in jars of peanut butter by two twelve year-old girls at a summer camp. It’s seen as a childhood classic cookie, a snack that forges connection, builds bonding and conversation. It’s both a classic treat, while also being the connector between two sisters. 

Viewers might not think twice about the product, but when you study its placement in the scenes, one will notice the cookie is a sort of comfort that is had over conversation and late-night gabbing. 


When you consider all of the elements of the narrative of the movie, the placement and symbol that Oreo presents is excellent. It presents a story of long-lost sisters becoming best friends, re-connecting their parents all while having mischievous and innocent fun through summer camp to Paris to the vineyards of California. It’s a simple idea, yet somehow sweet, interesting, and captivating. Much like the Oreo itself. All together it becomes a connector between two things: sisters and family, cookies and cream.


https://www.pinterest.com/pin/284149057709751987/?lp=true

1 comment:

  1. I remember this movie and how the girls did not get along with each other at first. They ended up bonding over their mutual love for eating Oreos with peanut butter. I like the idea of Oreos being a sort of comfort and connecting the sisters together. I agree, the placement is simple, yet sweet.

    ReplyDelete